Pop!_OS shares many accessibility options with Gnome. These features expand Pop!_OS's usability to more users. If there are additional tools or options that you would like to see added to Pop!_OS in the future please let us know and we will see if implementation is possible.
Additional information can be found on GNOME accessibility web page here.
For visual impairments Orca is a screen reading tool for low sighted and blind users.
Orca is a free, open source, flexible, and extensible screen reader that provides access to the graphical desktop via speech and refreshable braille.
In Pop!_OS using the GNOME desktop environment, Orca can be launched automatically via the Universal Access Control Center under the Seeing section.
• To toggle Orca on and off press Super + Alt +S Once engaged you will hear a voice confirmation “screen reader on” and it will begin reading the text on the screen through your speakers.
• You can also type ‘orca’ along with optional parameters in the terminal and press Return.
Orca can also be enabled during installation by using the Super + Alt + S keys.
Universal Access Options
GNOME provides many accessibility tools within the Universal Access panel. You can access the Universal Access panel by opening Activities and typing 'Universal Access'. From within Universal Access panel there is a toggle to ‘Always Show Universal Access Menu’ to help you navigate back to this section easier in the future.
Once Universal Access is open you will have options for the following sections.
Seeing. This section contains options for visual accessibility including:
- High Contrast toggle
- Large Text toggle
- Cursor Size selector
- Zoom menu: includes many additional features including magnification adjustment and magnification position settings. It also includes tabs for crosshair adjustment and color effects.
- Screen Reader toggle
- Sound Keys toggle: sound keys provides a beep when Num Lock or Caps lock are turned on or off.
Hearing. This section contains option for visual alerts. The two options include:
- Visual alerts on and off toggle
- Flash the window title or flash the entire screen
Typing. This section contains options for typing assistance including:
- Screen Keyboard toggle
- Repeat Keys toggle and menu to adjust delay and speed
- Cursor Blinking Frequency Slider
- Typing Assist menu using (AccessX): includes toggle for on and off along with options for Sticky Keys, Slow Keys, and Bounce keys.
Pointing & Clicking. This section contains options for mouse and clicking enhancements including:
- Mouse Keys toggle
- Click Assist menu with options for adjusting simulated secondary click and hover click.
- Double-Click Delay Slider
Keyboard Shortcuts & Modifiers
Pop!_OS also provides many keyboard shortcuts to help users with navigating their system from the keyboard. The documentation for the keyboard shortcuts can be found by clicking this link here.