Search helpful documentation for answers to a variety of questions or issues.
Can’t find what you’re looking for in our support articles? Our team is here to help.
- Before You Open a TicketA troubleshooting triage to help you self-diagnose a variety of issues.
- Clear Cache and Cookies in Firefox and ChromeHow to navigate to settings and delete browsing data in Firefox and Chrome.
- Software Troubleshooting TriageA troubleshooting triage to help you self-diagnose software issues.
- Audio TroubleshootingHere is how to fix several common audio issues with your computer.
- Bitesize BugsGet started contributing quickly with bitesize bugs!
- Black Screen Or Login Issues (Ubuntu)Are you getting stuck in a login loop, even though your password is correct? Do you see a black screen after you log in?
- Black Screen or Login Issues (Pop!_OS)Are you getting stuck in a login loop, even though your password is correct? Do you see a black screen after you log in?
- Closing Frozen Applications and DesktopsLinux provides several methods to kill frozen or hung up processes and applications using GUI applications or terminal commands.
- Creating Log FilesLearn how to create log files for sending to System76 support
- Data RecoveryHow to back up your files if your operating system doesn't boot
- File Systems (Mount and Repair)How to mount and repair common file system issues.
- Firmware Flash to Clear the SMMSTORE ROM (Error code 5)How to fix the failed with exit status: exit code: 5 message
- Fix Raw Image PreviewsAdd a custom thumbnail generator to display thumbnails for raw image in Files.
- Flashing Firmware from a USB Flash DriveFlash firmware from a USB using a zip file provided by System76
- Guest User Only (After Initial Setup - Ubuntu)Sometimes, the first boot user creation fails and leaves only a Guest session. You can fix this by following the steps here.
- Login from Live Disk (Chroot)Access an installed OS from a Live Disk/Recovery.
- Package Manager Issues (Pop!_OS)Here are ways to fix update, upgrade, and other package manager issues.
- Package Manager Issues (Ubuntu)Here are ways to fix update, upgrade, and other package manager issues.
- Pop!_OS Incomplete UpgradeWhat to do if your upgrade is incomplete or not working correctly
- Recovery PartitionHere is how to use the recovery partition to repair, refresh or reinstall your operating system.
- Repair the BootloaderHow to repair and reinstall the bootloader.
- Bluetooth TroubleshootingHere is how to fix several common Bluetooth issues with your computer.
- Networking Diagnosis (TCP/IP Stack)Instructions on how to help diagnose networking issues.
- Wireless TroubleshootingIf you’re having problems with your wireless Internet connection, take a look at the suggestions in this article.
- Diagnose Hardware FailuresIf the computer won't start, boot, or otherwise operate normally, there may be a hardware issue. Follow these steps to diagnose hardware failures.
- Freezing SystemsTroubleshoot if your system is freezing
- Live Disk CreationCreate and use bootable media to install or repair your OS.
- Live Disk Creation (Pop!_OS)Create and use bootable media on Pop!_OS.
- Power on Failure - DesktopTroubleshoot if your Thelio is not powering on
- Power on Failure - LaptopTroubleshoot if your Laptop is not powering on
- Reboots (Unexpected)If your system is spontaneously rebooting, this article provides steps to isolate the cause.
- Serval DAC ClickingCertain models of the Serval WS will "click" when the DAC turns on and off, but the frequency can be decreased.
- WebcamActivate and troubleshoot your laptop webcam
- Access BIOS or Boot MenuHow to access BIOS settings or boot from other media.
- AccessibilityAccessibility options for Pop!_OS
- Active Directory DomainLearn how to join Pop!_OS to an Active Directory domain
- Auto-Mount Second Hard Drive(s)If you ordered your computer with additional storage, it comes pre-formatted and ready for use. For instructions on automatically mounting an additional hard drive, check out this extra drive documentation.
- Back Up FilesGuidelines and tips for making backups of your important files.
- CUDA and cuDNN (Install)Complete instructions on setting up the NVIDIA CUDA toolkit and cuDNN libraries
- Change User PasswordForgot your main password? Locked out of your computer? Need to change your encryption passphrase? Follow these instructions to change both!
- Configuring your new Launch keyboardView, add, or modify keys in your OS.
- Containers on LinuxHow to setup and use LXC/LXD
- Creating Virtual Machines in LinuxCreate a VM on Linux with GNOME Boxes or Virtual Machine Manager
- Desktop Environment (Change)Pop!_OS Comes with GNOME by default. Follow these instructions to install additional desktop environments.
- Disk Encryption PasswordsHow to add extra passwords for your Full Disk Encryption setup
- Dock (Move or Customize)How to move the Dock to different areas of the screen and customize other settings.
- Enable Hibernation (Suspend to Disk)How to partition your drive and set up hibernation in Pop!_OS.
- Encrypt Extra DriveEncrypt Extra Drive(s)
- File Sharing Between Pop!_OS ComputersHow to share files with the Public Folder.
- Firmware Switching (Proprietary Firmware or System76 Open Firmware)How to transition from proprietary firmware to System76 Open Firmware on supported models.
- Format Your DriveLearn how to format your drive
- Graphics Switching (Pop!_OS)How to use systems with switchable graphics
- Graphics Switching (Ubuntu)How to use systems with switchable graphics
- HDMI Audio ConfigurationHere is how to play audio over an HDMI or DisplayPort connection.
- HiDPI Multi-Monitor SupportMixing HiDPI and LoDpi displays can be complicated. Learn what to do and how System76 automates this for you!
- Install Pop!_OS in VirtualBoxInstall Pop!_OS in a virtual machine like VirtualBox
- Install and Use TensormanUse Tensorman to manage TensorFlow containers.
- Install and Use VPNsThis page will go over setting up and using OpenVPN to browse the internet more securely in places like airports, cafe shops and more.
- Keep PPAs Enabled when Upgrading ReleasesUpgrading to a new releases disables PPAs and third party repos. Learn how to keep your PPA or third party repo enabled during upgrades.
- Kernelstub UsageAdd or change kernel and boot parameters using kernelstub
- Lightworks (Install)Complete instructions on installing Lightworks
- MATLAB (Install - Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS)How to install MATLAB
- Manage Repositories (Pop!_OS)Add, remove and edit repositories in Pop!_OS
- Manage Repositories (Ubuntu)Add, remove and edit repositories in Ubuntu
- Minecraft Server (Install & Host)So you want some of that blocky goodness? Well, get Java and some graphics cards and let's go!
- OpenVPN (Install)This page will go over setting up and using OpenVPN to browse the internet more securely in places like airports, cafe shops and more.
- Pop!_OS CustomizationPop with the GNOME desktop is highly customizable! See here to get started making your desktop just right for you.
- Set Up E-MailHow to configure email services like ProtonMail with Geary
- System76 Driver (Install)Learn how to add the System76 Driver to your System76 computer after reinstalling Ubuntu
- System76 Software (Install - Other Operating Systems)Learn what software is needed to use other OSes and install them
- Update System FirmwareHow to update System76 firmware.
- Upgrade Pop!_OSGet the newest version of Pop!_OS on your computer! Check out our upgrade directions.
- Upgrade UbuntuGet the newest version of Ubuntu on your System76 computer! Check out our upgrade directions.
- Users (Manage User Accounts)How to add other users to your installation
- Using Legacy Status Icons in Pop!_OSUse legacy status icons (system tray/AppIndicators) with a GNOME extension
- Using Pop Shell on other GNOME DesktopsLearn how to build Pop Shell from source.
- Windows (Install)Instructions for installing Windows on System76 hardware or within a virtual machine, and for locating Windows drivers.
- AR SandboxCalibrate and use your new AR Sandbox
- Battery Life ImprovementsStretch the battery life and create amazing things for longer.
- Battery ThresholdsSet battery charging thresholds on your System76 laptop.
- Disable Touchpad While TypingLearn how to disable the touchpad while typing.
- Microphone UseHere is how to enable and adjust the microphone.
- Mouse CustomizationHow to customize the buttons on your mouse
- Printer Setup (Pop!_OS)Here is how to add a printer in Pop!_OS.
- Printer Setup (Ubuntu)Here is how to add a printer in Ubuntu.
- Replace the Thelio Power ButtonHere are a few easy steps to replace the power button in your Thelio.
- Touchpad (Configure or Disable)Learn how to turn on and configure touchpad functions.
Switching To Linux
- Switching from macOS to Pop!_OSIf you are coming from Apple's operating system using Pop!_OS for the first time, we can help make the transition smoother.
- Switching from macOS to UbuntuIf you are coming from Apple's operating system and just using Ubuntu for the first time, we can help make the transition a little smoother.
About Your Computer
About Your Operating System
- Differences between Pop!_OS and UbuntuDiscover the differences between these two Operating Systems
- Find Command Help Using the TerminalUsing apropos, whatis, info, man, and --help to find appropriate commands and command usage information.
- Linux Terminal BasicsLinux offers users a lot of flexibility. Use the terminal to accomplish tasks faster
- Default Apps in Pop!_OSPrinciples for default app inclusion.
- Development ApproachLearn about the Pop!_OS development methodology.
- Pop!_OS (Install)Full instructions on installing Pop!_OS your computer.
- Pop!_OS BasicsLearn how to navigate your new Pop!_OS desktop environment with a few easy tips.
- Pop!_OS Keyboard ShortcutsLearn how master using Pop!_OS with your keyboard.
- Roadmap for Pop!_OSFocus and features for each release!
- Gaming on Pop!_OSWant to game on your super awesome new System76 machine? Take a look at these instructions to set your system up for gaming!
- Media Production (Pop!_OS)Learn about media production tools on Pop!_OS
- Use AMD FidelityFX SuperResolution (FSR) on Pop!_OSWant to use AMD's FidelityFX SuperResolution to increase your gaming performance? Take a look at these instructions to set your games up for FSR!
- Watch Protected Content on Streaming ServicesHow to view DRM-protected video content from online streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime
- Watch Videos and Play Music (MP3, DVD, etc.)Proprietary multimedia formats, such as MP3 files and DVD decoders, aren't included by default. To enable playback of these media, please see this document.
General Hardware Information
- Docking Station SupportA Docking Station makes it easy to use multi monitors. It also adds an ethernet port, multi USB ports and more while only using one USB 3.0 port on your laptop.
- Order AccessoriesInstructions to order a new AC Adapter for your laptop.
- System76 Open Firmware ModelsA list of systems that run our Open Firmware and Open EC.
The following documents have been graciously submitted by community members. They have not been checked for accuracy, completeness, or style. Please contact the contributers through their GitHub account for any questions.
- Drives - Map a Network DriveMap a network drive using Files in Pop!_OS.
- Install Minecraft ServerInstall Minecraft Server and play with your friends!
- Install Minecraft!So you want some of that blocky goodness? Well, get Java and some graphics cards and let's go!
- Install OpenSpadesUse Snap or build OpenSpades from source to enjoy a voxel-based first person shooter.
- Install and Play MinetestMinetest, an open source infinite-world block sandbox game with survival and crafting.
- Install cjdnsConnect to the meshnet! Cjdns uses an ipv6 allocated space public key encrypted routing system to protect privacy.
- Login with YubikeyConfigure Pop!_OS to accept a Yubikey for login and unlock.
- Modify Keyboard Shortcuts (Pop!_OS)View, add, or modify keyboard shortcuts in Pop!_OS.
- Numba (Install - Python3)Complete instructions on setting up the Numba library in Python for fast, parallel computing using the NVIDIA CUDA toolkit.
- Pop! - Show Battery PercentageShow the battery percentage in the top bar in Pop!_OS.
- Setup facial recognition for authentication (howdy).Want to forever forget about typing in a sudo password?
- Advancing Biosustainability at the Technical University of DenmarkDeveloping metabolic engineering, robotics, and lab automation tools.
- Bioinformatics at Johns Hopkins UniversityUsing Linux computers for bioinformatics education and scientific data analysis.
- Conducting Collaborative Oceanographic ResearchMarine biology expeditions, powered by Linux.
- Deep Learning Research at the University of ColoradoSystems administration and IT support for deep learning researchers.
- Developing Desktop Applications at CodeWeaversGrowing Linux on the desktop with CrossOver.
- Web Application Development at EficentDeveloping and deploying web applications with Linux.
- Web Design and Site Management at Mallee Blue MediaWeb development, content marketing, and conversion optimization with Linux.